Pregnancy update - 37 weeks




To feel hurt and to feel joy, feelings that come from loving you. Situations can change, between the morning and the night. So open up my eyes to a new light. I wandered around your darkened land all night, but I lift up my eyes to a new high, and indeed there will be time. And in the cold night I live, I'll only live for you, It's all that I am, It's all that I have. Why do I keep falling?



How far along: 
37 weeks, 9 1/4 months, 259 days


Symptoms:
Braxton Hicks, nesting... and reduced fetal movement.


To be honest: 
It started with a small comment at our routine midwife appointment a couple of days ago. Baby's movements just felt different. For once, I wasn't majorly concerned, I wasn't anxious and I didn't let myself worry. I listened to everyone's "don't worry's" and the "it'll be alright's". I naively thought I couldn't feel him move as much because he was running out of space, because he was getting too big for the bump. I was wrong, they were wrong, It's not alright.

We were referred to the hospital that afternoon and baby's heartbeat was monitored for an hour. Still, we weren't worried, weren't concerned and slightly confused about the amount of fuss we were receiving. So naive.

The readings were "fine" so the Dr let us go home that night, but he booked an ultrasound scan just to double check everything was okay. When we turned up for the scan we were still unfazed by the investigation, initially it went well and we enjoyed seeing our baby again. He's so bloody cute. His head is down, his blood circulation could be picked up and his tiny little organs were all functioning correctly. Baby was ticking all the boxes, but I wasn't.

The level of fluid in my uterus was a concern. That's when the alarm bells started to ring, quietly, and I began to pick on the sonographer's extra wide smile, there was something to be worried about here... I was diagnosed with a polyhydramnios uterus - which means there's an excessive amount of fluid in the womb. This can be caused by genetic problems with the baby, a blockage in their gut, an abnormality with the baby or gestational diabetes.

 
I was immediately seen by a midwife who explained the next step, there's an entire ladder of steps you see. We need to monitor my blood sugars. The baby's organs are okay, his size is okay, my BMI is below the limit and we don't have a dodgy family history, so all indications are pointed towards gestational diabetes. She mentioned the 'S' word to explain the severity of these tests (risk of stillborn), and then the 'I' word (induction), as a possibility. Horrifying. 

Initially I was told it was going to be a case of drinking a bottle of lucozade then having my glucose levels recorded over an hour. It swiftly escalated to a take home blood testing kit - an entire demonstration of booklets, needles, swabs and a funky digital device. 

That's when I started to cry. 
Huge heaving sobs came up from my chest that must have been hiding behind my lungs. I didn't know I could cry like that anymore. So frightened and upset. 

What I said: I don't think I can do this 


What was going through my head: Diabetes? Needles? No No No. Extremely fat or skinny people take these tests, am I fat? I'm certainly not skinny, old people, people with weird skin, people that live on gigantic ready meals, frozen food and dine out at harvester take these tests. Did I really eat that much chocolate? What did I do to deserve this? Is my baby okay? Is my baby going to be born obese and jaundice? I thought I was normal, I'm not normal, I can't have a natural birth, induction, omg induction, this is all my fault, Michael must be so ashamed, I am so ashamed, I have letdown my boys, I have letdown my baby, I'm not good enough, I hate needles, I can't do this on my own, I feel so alone, we'll have a sharps bin, full of bloody needles, a sharps bin, I have to stab myself 4 times a day, a bright yellow sharps bin, I can't do this.


I haven't actually stopped crying since. 

Food Cravings:
I need to avoid everything I craved during pregnancy. I've lost my appetite. 

Movement: 
I thought I felt a normal amount of movement recently but because of the excess fluid, I haven't - it should be more consistent. It should be more prominent and patterned. Now it's all I think about, totally tuned in to my bump, feeling my baby kicking, turning, tightenings and Braxton hicks. None of it is a 'typical pattern' anymore though. I really wonder if he's okay in there. Please be okay.

Sleep: 
Really difficult. My mind races and my bump is big and uncomfortable.

Stretch Marks: 
More tiger stripes have come up below my bump, my thighs and hips. They're the least of my worries right now. 

Miss Anything: 
Feeling normal, the prospect of a natural birth, not testing my blood 4 times a day and being content with pregnancy. 

Best Moment: 
Being told I can still drink fruit herbal teas. I might not be able to eat anything fun (I've had a lecture about white vs brown bread, no chocolate, no juice and limiting snacks to nibbles of cardboard) at least I still get to sip on flavoured hot water!

Worst Moment: 
Clicking the needle into my finger, sobbing and realising again and again the dangers facing our baby. 

Looking forward to:
Baby's arrival. I just want him in my arms and out of my harmful body.

When your dreams all fail and the ones we hail are the worst of all and the bloods run stale, I want to hide the truth, I want to shelter you, but with the beast inside there's nowhere we can hide.