Pregnancy Update - 33 weeks

H: Oh! I can't wait, I want baby here now!
M: I know me too, it's so exciting, I just love him so much already
*heart explodes*


How far along: 
33 weeks, 8 1/4 months, 231 days

The third trimester continues... 

 


Symptoms:
Swollen ankles, acid reflux, pelvis pain, tiredness, nesting a.k.a OCD

Movement: 
Lots of twisting, turning, jabbing and jolts. His movements are changing slightly, as it's getting rather squished in there he's limited to how much he can do now. No more space for dance club, air guitar or drumming. Although I think he still tries to practice.

Sleep: 
It's disruptive due to baby movements, getting comfortable, settling an overactive brain and loo trips. Most nights consist of a trip to the loo or i'll wake up extra early before the alarm, desperate, and then can't get back to sleep again. The best way to deal with it is to resist having that last glass of water in bed, use lots of cushions, prop up the bump and get the pelvis into a comfortable angle.

Miss Anything: 
My clothes. I am living in maternity leggings and jumpers. I can wear anything long and stretchy but nothing else, unless I want to look like a hillbilly. I miss my jeans, I miss ballet pumps, I miss wearing tops that aren't half way down my legs - like those ladies who wear dresses over jeans (awful), just so I'm not at risk of flashing my belly. I guess it's my own fault for not investing a small fortune in maternity clothes. I just cannot justify buying a parachute dress (that I'll only wear for a month before I feel like Marjorie Dursley from Harry Potter) over buying a cute little baby item instead.

Best Moment: 
The new house. It's wonderful. Still have to pinch myself to believe that we are here, at last and this is our very own home (!) We don't need to pay thousands to a corrupt landlord to live in an unheated, no curtains on the windows, unregistered address. Our new home is warm! We can vote again! We can sleep in and get naked wherever we like because we have curtains! If something is broken, we can get it fixed! We actually have savings in our account! It's just so so so wonderful.

Along with the new house in general, we've also got the nursery. It's my favourite room. It has two big windows and everything is set up exactly how I imagined. There's an armchair in one corner next to a book shelf and toys, then there's a cot bed, wardrobe, changing table and dresser - in which I've organised all of baby's clothes in order of age and type (patterns, plain, tops, bottoms...) Ah! My nesting is at bliss when I look at it. More photos and boasting about that later...

We received a big delivery from Mamas and Papas this week. It included the carseat, pram and moses basket. It feels increasingly real and exciting when we get new things and the baby shopping list gets ticked off. We've almost got everything now so we both feel almost prepared.
Everything we've got is absolutely gorgeous and I feel so smug with the sales, discounts, gift cards and tactful research that has made it all affordable. I never wanted to be a ponsy fussy mumsy with useless plastic designer mod cons. I honestly believe you don't need to be a parent to know that neither you or the baby will need half the shit pointless crap products they sell and market to parents-to-be these days. I have to remind myself of this when I'm awake at night, getting myself deep into inner conflict about whether we should buy Stokke products or a fancy mamaroo infant seat OR that our baby will be wearing basic M&S baby grows and not Petit Bateau (actually they have a sale on at the moment...) He's still going to destroy them all with poo explosions and baby sick, then either grow out of them or get bored.

We started our NCT classes yesterday. To begin with I was full of nerves. Not going to lie, I was absolutely dreading it. It's like going to back to school. Baby school. I'd been told so many times that my NCT class mates would make up part of my new support network, so it applied a lot of pressure to bond with complete strangers. The sessions are scheduled to be over 3 hours long and three days a week. I don't cope well with new large groups of people or public speaking. I was dreading 'ice breakers' and awkward smiles. Whilst I huffed and stomped around getting ready for it, Michael was preparing himself for a tinder date it seemed, typically feeling optimistic. He even asked me what shoes I thought he should wear.
Fortunately, 10 minutes into the session the instructor separated us into smaller groups of mums and dads, which helped the nerves. A smaller group, the people I have the most in common with (we were all pregnant) and no awkward ice breakers. I quickly relaxed, learnt everyone's names and quickly managed to suss out that it was going to be absolutely fine. The class turned out to be highly educational. I thought I knew enough about labour and birth - turns out there is so much more to know. The instructor used diagrams and props and she didn't fluff over the realities of labour. It's all useful too, not just fancy terminology or boring biological background info. AND we got freebies. First session done, and I actually quite liked it.

Worst Moment: 
Going back to work after the holidays. The first day was nice. It was nice to do something, get out the house, get a sense of familiar routine, but apart from that I'm pretty fed up with it. The commute is knackering and after a days work I feel exhausted. My ankles and feet swell up more everyday and I wake up with mini migraines from tiredness. I need the weekends to deflate my chankles and recharge with sleep.

Nesting. It's getting out of control. I mean I love it sometimes because for once in my life I genuinely enjoy cleaning, normally I feel like it's wasting my time. I think I'm starting to get obsessed though. I get stressed if the kitchen isn't tidy, if the bathroom towels aren't folded or hung up correctly, if there's keys found anywhere other than the key hooks, if a candle is slightly out of place, if there is a single hair in the shower or bathtub. The book shelf in our guest room gives me heart palpitations (it just looks so disorganised, unsightly and rubbish.) Any tea mug marks on the kitchen counters make me vom a little with panic. I want to avoid having people stay in fear of them messing up our house. Normally, I love having visitors. Let's hope we can use my ever brewing nesting hormone to our advantage and keep our new house tidy and clean, and that it doesn't actually drive us insane...

Looking forward to:
Maternity leave. Starting at the beginning of February. I can't bloody wait. I have a romantic idea of having lots of naps, putting the last finishing touches in place for the baby's arrival, catching up with friends whilst I'm without a minion on my hip, long baths and pampering sessions and taking the dogs out in the fields for little walks. I will probably get bored, do too much online shopping, sterilise the house a few times and get severe cabin fever, but hey! still beats early mornings, commuting and exhausting myself in an office. I need to enjoy my last few weeks of alone time before the chaos.