Smooth sailing - my labour playlists


As ever I have my priorities in order... For the arrival of our baby we have hospital bags packed waiting by the door, we have birth preferences filed in our notes and most importantly, we have playlists of music for the labour. As advised by midwives, we've organised some music to bring along to the delivery suite, it's not down to my obsession.




'Trails show that music can lower perception of pain, help to regulate heart rate and breathing, reducing the amount of morphine type drugs needed. Music can also reduce anxiety which in turn can help you feel calm and in control.' 

We have a mixed bag of calming slow tempos and heavier motivating beats. I can't imagine what I'm going to need and when - I might need to dig deep for that emotive melody. I've separated the two lists I've got so far into 'sailing' and 'surfing'. I might make an additional playlist of a heavier variety of songs - which I think M was expecting in the first place. The key is to keep the oxytocin hormones flowing, have a calm, relaxed, positive, romantic environment. I think I'll only draw on this additional playlist if I'm seeing black and need to roar.

'The key benefits of listening to music during labour and birth are: 
  • Familiar music helps you feel calm and in control
  • Music can reduce anxiety and assist in pain relief
  • Your music helps to make the labour room ' your own' 
  • Music blocks out other distracting and unwanted sounds
  • Music can help you to move & staying mobile can help your labour and birth
  • Labour can be a long 'journey'; having music to listen to can act as a welcome distraction'

Since making the playlists we've listened to them whilst we get ready for the day, in the shower, when I have a bath, in the car, cooking dinner and when the background noise of loose women is getting a little old. I practice my breathing techniques and familiarise the bump with the music. We're adding to the playlists all the time.

Sailing: 
Calming, relaxed, emotional, romantic songs that won't grate on me like the sound of running water, whale songs and hynobirthing babble. 

Vancouver Sleep Clinic
Novo Amor
Mumford & Sons
Megan Davies
Ed Sheeran
Syml
Ben Howard
Hannah Trigwell 
Bon Iver
Louisa Wendorff
YouTube acoustic covers
Haux
Jeff Buckley 
Too Far Moon
Dustin Tebbutt
Meadowlark 

Surfing: 
Nostalgic, friendly and uplifting classics. To make us smile when we need some comfort. 

Pete Townshend - Let my love open the door
Rusted Root - Send me on my way
Stealers Wheel - Stuck in the middle with you 
Fleetwood Mac - Go your own way
Paul Simon - You can call me Al
Toploader - Dancing in the moonlight 
Boston - More than a feeling 
Simon & Garfunkel - Mrs Robinson + Cecilia 
Stevie Wonder - Signed, sealed, delivered (I'm yours) 
The Police - Don't stand so close to me 
Betty Everett - It's in his kiss 
Don McLean - American pie 
The Temptations- My girl
The Cure - Close to me 
Spin Doctors - Two princes 
UB40 - Red red wine
The Beach Boys - Good vibrations 
Michael Jackson - The way you make me feel 
The Beatles - Love Me Do + Twist and Shout + Here comes the sun 
Elton John - Tiny Dancer