Arcane Roots

It's still raining.

Can you see in the dark? See the circus fall apart? All I need is a space in your heart, because I'm alive still. 

Just as the wind picked up and started howling around the neighbourhood we went out to explore the forest. We got ourselves lost amongst the tall trees and we sank our shoes into deep puddles of mud.

I'm currently warming up with a fresh coffee, drenched hair and rain washed face. I'm listening to Arcane Roots' newest release. Yes, it was only a matter of time before I became infatuated with them again. Sorry, not sorry.



because I'm alive still, but I find my way in the dark. So if you see me coming, leave me something to keep all my dreams in the air. 

This is the part where I boast about Arcane Roots' fret wrangling firepower, precision, passion and intricacy. I could dwell for hours on their sheer excellent talent for alternative rock. Honestly, the mathematical and intellectual abilities that make up their music is fantastic. I bloody love this band.

So I'll bring the gun if you bring the money to the starting line. Out in the cold I go down on one knee and make you mine. We'll build a house together and bring the whole thing down, as we stand together, on and on and on and on.

Back in October 2015, the boys released Heaven & Earth. A shiny new addition to their current collection of work. Their work is a strong library, honest and sculpted to their character. It would be difficult to destroy at this stage.

Before this in 2014, Arcane Roots released Over & Over, a sweet little single. It introduced new pop punk-esque melodies and a more structured song layout. This flows and bridges the gap between Blood & Chemistry onto Heaven & Earth in one easy ride.

Heaven & Earth is a chameleon. From track to track the theme flickers between jarring riffs, brutality, light melodies and friendly hooks. You're lead into deep dark woods and across cliff tops. Crashing crescendos and emotive screaming by heartthrob Andrew Groves are paired with romantic chords and songwriting, cleverly constructed not to offend one another.  

aaaand the lecture of approval stops there. I'm not going to detail the album in bitesize chunks, pick apart each track with commentary and analogies. Neither of us have time for that and I wouldn't want to label this album, in your head, with my opinions. As ever, I think you'd need to listen to this one on your own and get your own 'feels'.

You and me, we were lost in the cold and left with the hopeless, but I believe, and over and over we will see the edge, and over and over we'll fall, and over and over we'll never have enough, and over and over we will see the edge, and over and over we'll fall, and over and over we will never be alone.

It's been a few weeks a month since M and I got back from our travels to New Zealand. We have spoilt our house with more furniture, adopted some big house plants (we now inhabit a jungle, equipped with wild animals) and hung out with family and friends. Although this time has made me feel better, it has also put me in two minds about our plans for the near future. It's difficult to decide when both sides look bright and prosperous. There's pros and cons flying about - and none of them outweigh the other. Life dilemmas huh!? At least I'm certain of one thing, this little spot on earth is beginning to feel like home again.

So let's go to the mountain, it's all we've got, and leap right off the highest. We'll kick and scream and raise hell, it's all we've got.