Canterbury


I see myself and you wrapped in rainbows, a curve of colour swirling round my head. I’m from a cloud, I have been falling for ages, passing through the light into the ground. I’ll wait, I’ll wait for you, while all the world is falling out of love.

As I kick back and venture through Canterburys array of musical footsteps and ballads, I realise that summer is starting, things are starting to look up and the good days are becoming more consistent. Their music contains a healthy amount of sugar and energy, embracing you with optimism.

Canterbury are a happier band on my current playlist. They sooth, console and stitch up old wounds.  Their tracks contain little rays of sunlight fighting through an overcast sky, a glimmer of hope and a gentle tug of wishful thinking.


Made up of a contagious tempo and shuffling drums, they are comfortable and relative. It might feel like you’ve heard these boys before.

I managed to catch up with Canterbury at Hit the Deck festival one Sunday ago. The audience blossomed and occupied a vast amount of the venue. Their bouncy delicate rock didn’t instigate any circle pits or walls of death but the band had us all captivated with the occasional half time drops, moments of thrash and a guitar melody that filled the room with magical music notes, which danced around heads and flirted with our ears.

The band draw on diverse influences and take their sound into a new direction. Touching on cage the elephant, U2, placebo and the late My Chemical Romance (e.g. the ever so extensive lalala’s)

Their vocals are clean and infectious. The sheer brilliance of their chorus’ overshadow the dreary versus in some parts though but their music glides from track to track and their intricate theme does not fail them.