Frank Turner


Like an arrow, I am being dragged backward. I have started my day with swollen eyes, coffee and a cigarette for breakfast. Looking out to a grey sky beholding the unknown, I turn the radio on for a bit of company. 3 or so minutes and a heavy heart later “ Darling sweet lover, won’t you help me to recover” chimes through the kitchen.


When one claims that ‘rock and roll can save us all’ it’s hard to resist an immediate liking for them. Frank Turner has managed to build up a vast fan base with his vocals and guitar. I first discovered him at a festival, forever ago. It was sunny and the searing heat had made us all scurry for shelter. That’s where we found Frank, chanting his lungs out to a modest audience and praising the honesties of life.

His songs are chewy friendly and relative. Frank rasps out his lyrics with emphasis and dingles away on his guitar. A folk sound that is most likely found on the street or in a pub, it’s refreshing to have it on record.

“Well darling now I’m sinking I’m as lost as lost can be and I’m hoping you can drag me fucking down and out to my recovery.”

So I remind myself that an arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. When life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it’s going to launch you into something great. So just focus Hannah, and keep aiming.