Pregnancy Update - 23 weeks



How far along: 
23 weeks, 5 3/4 months, 161 days 


Symptoms:
Baby brain and acid reflux
I think I lose more marbles as the days go by. I get mixed up, talk dribble, and I'm much more forgetful. This is a lot less frustrating as I feared it would be. I'm actually finding myself a lot more relaxed about pregnancy and the symptoms it throws at me. Although, as if morning sickness isn't brutal enough, I now have the constant burning taste of acidic vomit in the back of my throat. TMI? Excuse me. 

Food Cravings:
Milk and ice cream 
They help soothe the acid reflux and why not! Ice cream is just heavenly


Movement: 
Kicks, Flutters and Hiccups
 I felt nothing at all, then everything all at once. 
They haven't been very active though, in comparison to other bumps. I'm taking this as a good sign that we've got a chilled out baby in the making. 

Gender: 
It's a secret

Sleep: 
Temperamental
Depending on temperature, baby kicks and if my giant pillow is cooperating 

Stretch Marks: 
None
No discoveries as of yet

Miss Anything: 
Running
I'm really looking forward to getting back out there, feeling the freedom and my lungs burn 



Best Moment: 
The week of our second scan
Seeing our baby again in the 20 week scan, then getting 15 photos to take away and marvel at. Baby ticked all the boxes (eventually) and is super healthy. I didn't feel as emotional as I did at the first scan, it felt familiar. I just felt so much love for the little grey and white baby on the screen. 
We ended up going in and out the ultrasound 4 times for coffee and walks in an attempt to get baby to flip around. Although I ended up bottling a lot of emotion, it was a great day.

I got my hair cut and dyed yesterday. I did have very long, blonde ombre hair. I've had it dyed a warm dark brown and cut up to my shoulders. I love the style and the colour. It's so much healthier and fresh. This isn't totally related to pregnancy but it's made me feel good about how I look. 

An extremely important person came back into my life too. Almost instantly everything seemed that much more better. Phew! 
Baby sucking their thumb
Baby's foot
Worst Moment: 
The emotional aftermath from the gender reveal
I've never had a preference, and I am overjoyed with the gender, but going from a unisex baby to a real baby with a specific gender was somewhat of a shock. I never thought it would hit me like it did. The realisation that there is a person, a real baby, in my belly. No more if's. No more neutrals. More specific names, colour schemes and clothes. I can actually imagine who the baby might look like, what they might like to do, and what the future could have in store for us. I spent the day after the scan in tears, feeling really lost and full of confusion as to why I was breaking down over something so special and exciting. It was only after a crying fit to my gentle listening boyfriend, I realised I just needed that time to process, to mourn any dreams of the other gender, to embrace the dreams of the gender we're having. To get my head around the fact we're actually having a baby...

Looking forward to:
The baby shower
I have already organised the activities, the cake, the plates, cutlery, cups and straws, the balloons, the guest list and most excitingly, the party bags. Eek! More on that later.


Q & A, the honest answers:

I've seen a few people talk about 'questions you shouldn't ask a pregnant woman' or 'things you shouldn't say to a pregnant woman'. Admittedly before I was pregnant I thought I'd handle it all with grace and with 0 F's given, but now I'm actually with bump, I've realised just how bothersome it really truly is. Now I appreciate a good read or chat about this subject.

I often find myself stuck in a state of hindsight, thinking up fresh revengeful replies - I think it's the mother lion in me again. Otherwise I wish I was just more honest. For my own peace of mind, and not just to justify anything, I've re-answered them below.

Q: "Was it planned or a surprise?"
A: Yes, it was planned but we were still surprised when it happened so quickly.
Why is it anyone's business anyway? Does it make any difference? Are you just checking you don't need to change contraception? My married colleague didn't get asked this, so just because M and I aren't married - does that make us less worthy of intentionally making babies? You're going to offend us either way right? Such a personal question, yet anyone will ask it.

Q: "I hope you two are ready..."
A: I'd like to think so. There are various reasons why M and I decided to start having kids. We've been talking about kids at length since we got together and have always wanted to start having kids at this young age. We live together, we both have full time jobs and feel financially steady. Another reason is that we want to move overseas one day - and to do things in this order suits us better. We both want this baby and it's the right time in our lives, we are as ready as we can be.

So I might be looking way too into this, but this was said when M and I announced our pregnancy. Not sure if I found the patronising tone offensive, or the lack of optimism and support. I felt put down that the prospect of us being parents had been doubted. Who is ready for a baby anyway? People are always so quick to tell you that kids are never as you expect, and that nothing can prepare you for the lack of sleep, and this, and that, and this. We're preparing ourselves as much as we can and we'll take it from there. Don't even get me started on the age debate.

Q: "Will you get married?"
A: I hope so. We've talked about it so it's on the cards, but there's absolutely no rush.

So we might not be doing this marriage and kids thing in a way society or religion wants us to, but that doesn't mean we don't have dreams and surprises in store. If it was a simple yes, we would have popped to the registry office and signed the papers by now. I still have dreams of a proposal and the cutest wedding ever. When M is ready to ask, as with all partners in making this major decision, then it will happen, if it happens at all. I'd prefer a memorable proposal instead of a discussion. Don't take away my fairytale.

Q: "Is Michael excited?"
A: Yes, almost more than I am. In addition, he's also being incredibly helpful and as understanding as he can be. He pretty much does all the household chores and wants to know all the details of what I'm going through. He did his first lone baby shopping trip yesterday (he picked out the cutest hooded towel!) We're doing this all together.

DUH?! We decided to make this baby together. He is over the moon. He is ecstatic.

Q: "Have you picked out any baby names?... Well this one's mine so you're not allowed to use it."
A: Yes we have picked some names. We're finding girl's names are a lot easier than boy's. We have a list of girl's, and one boy name we're both happy with. We won't tell you what they are as we want to keep it to ourselves, and we don't anyone to ruin them. We will also pick whatever name we want, it doesn't actually depend on you at all, thank you.

Our child is going to have this name forever, like I mean, for life and after life. This is much bigger than picking the colour of converse shoes you're going to buy at school. We're not going to avoid anything you have on your list for your hypothetical baby. If you still like the name when you have this said child in five years, you can still use the name if you want to.


No comments :

Post a Comment